The Angels are feeding Dixie.......

Rainbow Bridge September 21, 2006

Wade and Amyís Dixie

Dixieís Story
(9/21/2006, age 9 ½ she went to Rainbow Bridge)

I remember the day that we heard about her.  I was at church and our Pastor and his wife said they knew someone who was giving away a Maltese if we were interested.  I really didnít think we needed another dog, I figured we already had all that we could handle since we had a male and a female that we breed once a year.  But when I got home I mentioned it to my husband, and he was all for it.  So my Pastor told the lady that we were interested and gave us her phone number.  I had to go out of town so my husband called her and made arrangements to pick her up.  On Saturday, January 13, 2005 he went to get her.  He couldnít believe his eyes.  When the lady brought ďDixieĒ out to him she had long hair and it was matted up with dirt and feces all over her.  The lady told him she had intended on giving her a bath but didnít have time.  We really donít believe she had ever given her a bath.  He took her straight to the groomer and had her shaved off.  When I got home a few days later I took her to my vet for a checkup.  She had a tumor in her mouth (which he believes to be cancer but said it was in a location where he couldnít remove it.), she had tape worms, a bladder stone (which once again he said if she had cancer we didnít need to try to remove the stone) and had not had any shots since she was six weeks old, she was now 8 years old.  We knew this because Dixieís former owner used him as her vet.  I explained to him that Dixie couldnít jump up either or walk up or down stairs.  After further examining her he said that it appeared that her kneecaps had been popped in.  He said it could be hereditary but we believe that after living outside all of those years and staying huddled up trying to keep warm arthritis may have set in.  After living with us in no time she was able to walk up the steps, she still couldnít walk down because she hit her stomach when she did.  And she even got to where she could stand up at the couch for me to pick her up.  At first she was timid and shy but after awhile she became so outgoing with us.  She would nuzzle her head in my chest at night when I held her and if I started walking back towards the bedroom in no time she was behind me.  Even the night before she died as much strength as it must have taken for her, she followed me to the bedroom.  She loved to eat especially canned food.  And if I was sitting on the couch, if I didnít pick her up she would bark and jump at me like she was going to get me if I didnít pick her up.  She even started barking at my husband if he sit in a different place than we did.  She would bark until he would come and get her or come sit with us. 

In May 2006, Dixie was diagnosed as being diabetic.  I took her to the vet and he prescribed insulin for her and told me how much to start her out with which was 3 units.  Then he told me to bring her back in a week, which I did.  Her sugar was great so he said she was regulated.  I know now how much I should have read up on diabetes but I didnít.  He didnít tell me to bring her back for another check up and she was acting great so I figured all was fine.  Then the week of August 28th, she started having some diarrhea but my other dogs did too so I thought maybe it was the new food I had bought.  Hers persisted a bit longer and I told my husband on Friday night that if she had another runny poop that I was going to take her to the vet the next morning because of it being labor day weekend.  But Saturday all was fine and seemed to be normal.  I noticed during the next week that she was drinking more water again and I will never forgive myself for not taking her to the vet, I guess I wasnít thinking.  On Sunday morning September 10th, when we got up she was walking a little sideways and it was like she didnít have her wits about her.  I had to put water in her mouth, and then I injected her insulin and got her to eat a little.  She went to the vets Monday morning, her sugar was up and he believed she had had a stroke so he kept her overnight.  I went to see her on Tuesday morning and Tuesday at lunch.  I asked him if I could bring her home and bring her back every morning and he said that would be fine.  When I got back to get her that afternoon he said she had looked for me from the moment I left.  We continued this routine all week and I took her in on Saturday morning.  He felt like we needed to drop her insulin because we had gone up so high during the week.  We had found out earlier in the week that her insulin was bad and we had started her on the good insulin but we were up to 8 units.  So we dropped her down to four units for the weekend.  Saturday she acted like her old self, barking and growling at the other dogs and wanting food.  Sunday she was lifeless again.  She was the same way on Monday and Tuesday.  Tuesday afternoon he had her sugar down to 180 and I thought we were getting somewhere, once again we had hope.  Wednesday she was lifeless once again and Wednesday night she started breathing weird and she would just cry out.  Then she would have shallow breathing for a while, then the weird breathing would start again and she would cry.  She would still drink water but got to the point where that was difficult too, so I gave her water through a syringe.  I held her the whole night and I would lay her on the floor if she started acting like she wanted down but she never got up.  So I would lay beside her holding her paw and rubbing her back.  My husband got up at 3am and I had not been to bed.  I told him if she was still with us by the time the vet opened that we would have to take her.  So on September 21st at 7:50am we took our Dixe to the vet so that he could help her go to Rainbow Bridge.  It tore me up to see her like this and to see the pain she was in the night before was agonizing.  We dressed her in her favorite sweater and had a funeral for her.  We loved our Dixie with all our hearts and really at this point donít know how we will go on without her.  We take comfort in knowing that she doesnít hurt anymore.  We can see her now running and jumping with the other animals and having a wonderful time.  One day we will join you again Dixie when God decides that itís time.  

Rest in Peace 
Little Dixie


"Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here,
that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. 

All the animals who had been ill or old are restored to health and vigor;
those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again,
just as we remember them in our dreams of days gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing;
they each miss someone very special to them who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together,
but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.
His bright eyes are intent;his eager body quivers.
Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass,
his legs carrying him faster and faster. 

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet,
you cling to each other in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. 

The happy kisses rain upon your face;
your hands again caress the beloved head,
and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet,
so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together........" 

Author - Unknown 

  Rainbow Bridge Memorial Pages

Dixie's Midi Player

Enter recipient's e-mail: